Call: EMPLEA 2016
Title: Energy management system.
Duration: 36 months.
Description: in this Project will analyze, develop and evaluate an intelligent device for the management of electrical energy (SGE) for houses and residential surroundings in such a way that its control and monitoring will be completely integrated with the electric network. The principal mission from SGE is allow to consumer of electric energy that assume an active participation acts as of an electric system through a bidirectional communication loop that make decision-making possible. Thus, the users will inform about their consumption patrons so that the distributor knows what is produced and is stored in real time, being able the users to sell or use the energy as appropriate. This will cause that the user modifies their behavior as electric energy consumer in the house, producing an increase of the efficiency, an improvement in the bill and a reduction of the pollution emissions to the environment, while improving the stability of the electric network compensating reactive power, acting on events and reducing the harmonic distortion. In addition, the network optimizes their regulation because provide of energetic flow all their clients.
The SGE device will manage the energy flow between the distribution network in low voltage, in flows of removable energy (mainly photovoltaic solar), stored energy (batteries of different technologies) and the existent loads in a house. This manage is performance by devices of electronic devices including in the SGE (converters DC/DC, DC/AC and AC/DC) and by a standard of communication system between the device SGE, remotes server and mobile device of user (Smartphone, Tablet and PC). The SGE analyzed and developed in this project will have intelligent algorithms to obtain the reference powers of each power electronics device, based on that algorithms in the recognition of consumption patterns through non-intrusive monitoring techniques together with techniques for disaggregation of charges to analyze them individually and act through an automatic control over each of the existing charges in the house. In addition, the SGE will have with own algorithm to help the network as active and reactive power of control, reducing the impact of events like gap and improving the quality of supply that will be launched whenever the network demands it.
The SGE with this functions will be convert in a very important element in the distribution networks in low voltage, developing the concept of Smart Grid, which is accepted like the evolution in the current electrical network to the one existing in the future.
- Determinate the most appropriate energy storage system for a device (lead-acid, nickel-cadmiun (Ni-Cd), nickel-metal hydride (Ni-MH), supercapacitorm, etc), according to its autonomy characteristics, times of loading and unloading, integrality with renewable sources, capacity, and cost, for the concrete application of the management and optimization of electrical consumption in homes.
- Introduce a source of renewable photovoltaic energy as an improvement of the autonomy of the house and carry out the combined management with the storage system, which implies among other things a follow-up of the point of reference power, not only the maximum.
- Development of the embedded prototype with three-dimensional studies of the set, choice of components, design of printed circuit boards, all with their corresponding testing to provide a reliable tool for the tests to be carried out in the following stages.
- Recognize consumption patterns in homes to measure the devices in a tight way and that they can take them as starting data to execute control actions and increase the efficiency of electrical consumption.
- Develop intelligent algorithms to obtain the instructions (references) of power that will be used by the power converters included in the management device to manage the power flows between sources-storage devices-loads.
- Send data temporarily (every second, minute, hour, day and week) of the consumption to the IEC61850 communication protocol for Smart Grids through the Internet, also accessing the data collected with a mobile user device (smartphone, tablet or PC).
- Disaggregate the information obtained from the measure of power taken in an aggregate manner (all the loads as a whole), in order to analyze consumption at the individual load level and optimize energy management.
- Perform field tests in a real installation (housing) to validate the correct operation of the management device under some conditions for which it has been designed.